Sunday, February 13, 2011

I rocked like a star for 5k!

5k - No Way!

I did run a 5k once several years ago but the only reason I did was because we got to pick out a funky red dress to run in. I died my hair red to match and actually ran quite well. I was first woman but in all fairness, there was probably only myself and Lisa, also pictured here (left).

Lisa has never forgotten the Red Dress Run and has been bugging me for the past several years about my 5k time. I always run for time - as in, I did 1 hour or 4 hours today, not 10k or 40k.

So in the name of fun and good spirit, I suggested Lisa and I duel it out in a 5k race. Enter our club's Valentine's Day 5k road race.


Yes, yes - we hammed it up before the race start. I decided, after an epic run in snow filled trails yesterday followed by a hardcore twelve hour sleep that this was going to be a hoot.

I first dawned my new Succi, not Pucci Sugoi hat. I then turned to my own collection of funky running tops and decided I felt like a Rock Star this morning so threw that top on. A little running skirt and voila - I was dressed to kill! (A 5k that is)


Well here are Lisa and I at the start line - still hamming it up, or so I thought. Who in all of Southern Ontario didn't enjoy their run today with the temperatures reaching a balmy plus, not minus five degrees! Who cared about the 33 km/hr winds, down at the lake to boot!

This was going to be a jolly good run with us neck and neck all the way. You know - laughing, egging each other on. Lisa is deaf but I imagined us still calling out as best we could to each other on the course.

WAS I WRONG! Although we were standing beside each other right before the start, the little bugger edged her way to the sidelines right before the gun and then shot off into the clearing as the race started. "Damn" was all I thought and then "she's in this for real." So I mushed my touche in my hot little number and mozied pretty quickly on by a number of folks to catch up to Lisa.

I fell right in behind her and decided I needed to get my lungs in a rhythm before I started to compete. For about half of the course I neatly followed her keeping an equi-dstance between us. Then about half way through the race I saw her heading for a wide take on a street corner so took it really tight and voila (again), I got my edge and pulled ahead.

Lisa definitely gave me a run for the remainder of the race. The only significant other passing was by a beautiful Lululemon jacket with a funky cut and design in the back panel. I noticed little else.

At about the last k, Lisa pulled ahead of me. I knew it was do or die in that last bit so made a plan to progressive pick up the pace but leave some for the final run in. And there we were - the final stretch. The way it ended was that I made certain we crossed the finish line together. Although official results paint a different story (I had folded up my bib and hid it in my pocket as this fashionista does not like pinning her clothes!), I know that we crossed that line together.


And so, today I was a Rock Star.

Funny thing, the first thing I felt like when I crossed that finish line was chocolate milk.

Lisa did win a chocolate heart being the Valentine's 5k and all. And you know what? She shared half of it with me. I will tell you that someone told me Lisa is a choco-a-holic and shares her chocolate with NO ONE. How sweet is that!

1 comment:

  1. The rock start shirt is one of my favorite long-sleeved. I also hate pinning my clothes; I have specific "race" shirts that get pinned again and again so that my favorites don't get pinholes.

    ReplyDelete